There were some good suggestions:
- Turn A Square - interesting decreases
- Koolhas - lattice cable motif
- Habitat - great cables
- Fisherman's Watch Cap - perfect name for John, classic styling
- Soaring Eagles - really cool!
- Mountain Man Hat - rugged, good looking
This is what I cooked up.
I started with the Cabled Headband from The Knitter's Book of Yarn, picked up stitches around one edge, knit until it seemed right and then finished with decreases inspired by Knit A Square.
Needles: US 7
Yarn: El Coyote Ranch 60% Wool, 40% Mohair
Color: Dark Gray
John tried the hat on last night and said with a smile, "It's just what I wanted."
Since I didn't use any of the light gray yarn, I have a little more "cooking" to do. Maybe something for me...